Harbor and Sprout
These lessons are included in our Astronomy Unit Study.
Discover math through the lens of astronomy in this in-depth, engaging guide by Lindie Liang of Hudson Academy of Curiosity! The out-of-this-world study includes four Math Modules exploring different aspects of mathematics in relation to astronomy:
Module 1: "Statistics"
- Understand and calculate mean, median, mode, and range
- Study the data of the planets
Module 2: "Recognizing & Counting Numbers"
- Count the number of stars in each constellation and write the number down
- Create your own constellation and count the number of stars
- Play the "Roll and Cover" game with individual planets
- Play Solar System "Roll and Cover"
Module 3: "Ordinal and Prime Numbers"
- Learn about ordinal numbers
- Solve word problems involving ordinal numbers
- Label planets using ordinal numbers
- Create your own depictions of the planets positions
- Learn about prime numbers
- Escape the "Prime Number" maze
Module 4: "Distance from the Sun"
- Learn about scientific notation
- Learn about scale and ratios
- Calculate planets distance from the sun using scientific notation
- Calculate planets distance from the sun using scale
- Create your own model that visualizes the distance of planets from the sun
These lessons may be completed over the course of one month with one module per week, or more quickly or slowly depending on personal preference. This is a digital download and the files will be delivered via email upon purchase. Enjoy your exploration of math through space!