Harbor and Sprout
Beekeeping Nature Study
These lessons are included in our Beekeeping Unit Study.
Explore honey bees in this in-depth, engaging nature study by Jacqueline Marr of Books and Willows. This study includes four modules:
Module 1: Honey Bee Identification
- Learn how to identify honey bees and spot their look-alikes!
- Record bee observations in your new Bees Nature Journal.
- Play "can you spot the honey bee?" and put your new identification skills to the test!
- Extend your learning by comparing honey bees to bumblebees.
Module 2: Honey Bee Vision
- Learn how honey bees work and discover their ability to see the 'invisible'!
- Conduct a bee color experiment.
- Design the best flower to attract the most bees.
- Engage your younger learners with honey playdough and their own bee-vision glasses!
Module 3: Honey Bee Communications
- Learn how honey bees tell each other where the best flowers are!
- Play a game that will have you "talking like a bee."
- Observe forager bees in the wild and make a Bee Flower Suncatcher.
Module 4: Honey Varieties
- Learn how the type of flowers a bee collects nectar from changes the color and flavor of honey produced.
- Host your own honey tasting.
- Make a bee peg doll to celebrate everything we've learned about honey bees!
- Extend your learning with reading the poem Song of the Bees by Hannah Flagg Gould.
This study may be completed over the course of one month with one module per week, or more quickly or slowly depending on personal preference. This is a digital download and files will be delivered via email upon purchase. Enjoy your adventures with bees!