Harbor and Sprout
These lessons are included in our Engineering Unit Study.
Discover geography through the lens of engineering in this in-depth, engaging guide by Danielle Hansen of Harbor + Sprout! This study includes four modules exploring different aspects of engineering, as well as plenty of hands on crafts for your little learners:
Module 1: "Solar Energy"
- Study solar energy map
- Learn about solar energy around the world
- Learn about solar panels
- Study Datong Panda power plant in China
- Design your own solar farm
- Cook s'mores in a solar oven!
Module 2: "Panama Canal"
- Learn about the Panama Canal
- Write about the importance of the Panama Canal
- Design your own boat
Module 3: "The Power of the Wind"
- Learn about the power of wind
- Study windmills and wind turbines
- Describe the wind
- Study wind energy map
- Learn about the boy who harnessed the wind
- Make your own pinwheel
Module 4: "Wildlife Bridges"
- Learn about the purpose of wildlife bridges
- Write about the four components of your habitat
- Design your own wildlife bridge
- Write about your wildlife bridge
- Habitat matching activity
- Study Amsterdam fast facts
- Learn about the windmills of the Netherlands
These lessons may be completed over the course of one month with one module per week, or more quickly or slowly depending on personal preference. This is a digital download and the files will be delivered via email upon purchase. Enjoy your exploration of geography through engineering!