Harbor and Sprout
Textiles and Fashion Language Arts & Writing
These lessons are included in our Textiles and Fashion Unit Study.
Discover language and writing through the lens of textiles and fashion in this in-depth, engaging Language Arts guide by Amber of So Simple a Beginning and Writing lessons by Sarah Wise! This study includes four Language Arts modules and four Writing modules:
Language Arts Module 1: "Sewing Words"
- Learn about sewing vocabulary
- Practice spelling your new vocabulary words
- Enjoy a sewing word search
- Explore sewing vocabulary etymology
- Write a story about a magical sewing box
Language Arts Module 2: "Tom Kitten"
- Read the tale of Tom Kitten
- Listen to Tom's tale while sipping tea and nibbling on buttered toast
- Learn how to sew a button
- Summarize the story in your own art/words
- Study, or unravel (pardon the pun), the story
- Practice story sequencing
- Writing practice
Language Arts Module 3: "Regular Verbs and Simple Past"
- Learn about the rules of regular verbs
- Stitch the verbs
- Complete the regular verbs worksheet
- Decorate verb embroidery
- Practice completing sentences in simple past tense
- Write a sewing story set in simple past tense
Language Arts Module 4: "Funny Fill-it-ins"
- Fill in several fashion themed Mad Libs
- Create your own funny-fill-in
These lessons may be completed over the course of one month with one module per week, or more quickly or slowly depending on personal preference. This is a digital download and the files will be delivered via email upon purchase. Enjoy your exploration of language and writing through textiles and fashion!