Harbor and Sprout
Engineering Primary Level Unit Study
Welcome to a fascinating world of Engineering! This unit study is designed to guide learners aged 6-12 on an in-depth exploration that will not only provide a thorough study of the subject at hand, but will also involve students in the process through immersive, experiential learning opportunities. Consistent, gentle, and easy-to-follow structure encourages internalization and personal connection with each module.
Primary level unit studies are delivered digitally and may be used ebook-style alongside a notebook of your own choosing, or you may print the unit and use it in hard copy form. The unit is non-consumable, meaning that you will not need to write on or cut anything out of the pages. Optional printable notebooking pages are provided. This unit study is intended for elementary learners ages 6-12.
This unit study includes 22 modules. Each module is made up of 3 parts:
- Information: This is the reading portion of the module. The reading can be completed independently or with help from an adult. You may take one day or more to complete the reading.
- Notebooking Prompts: In the notebooking section of each module, you will have the opportunity to reflect on your reading in a way that is unique to you.
- Activities: Each module contains a selection of activities and hands-on learning experiences to choose from. These activities span the range of learning styles and are meant to be completed at whatever pace feels most comfortable to you.
The modules in the Engineering Primary Level Unit Study include:
- Module 1: The History of Engineering
- Module 2: The Engineering Design Process
- Module 3: Simple Machines
- Module 4: An Engineer's Toolbox
- Module 5: Architectural Engineering
- Module 6: Bridges
- Module 7: Hydrology
- Module 8: Robotic Engineering
- Module 9: Mechanical Engineering
- Module 10: Aerospace Engineering
- Module 11: Aerodynamics
- Module 12: Acoustical Engineering
- Module 13: Communication Engineering
- Module 14: Civil Engineering
- Module 15: Biomechanical Engineering
- Module 16: Geotechnical Engineering
- Module 17: Natural Engineering
- Module 18: Environmental Engineering
- Module 19: Reverse Engineering
- Module 20: The Latest Engineering Technology
- Module 21: Magnetism
- Module 22: Thermodynamics in Engineering
Each module has a list of pertinent subject applications including science, nature study, language arts, writing, history, geography, art, music, math, and life skills. Writing and language arts are also inherently woven into the whole unit through notebooking. Enjoy your adventure with Engineering!