Harbor and Sprout
Entomology Nature Study
These lessons are included in our Entomology Elementary Unit.
Discover insect adaptations in this in-depth, engaging nature study by Jacqueline Marr of Books and Willows. This study includes four modules:
Module 1: Moths
- Explore the nocturnal adaptations of the moth including vision, evasion tactics, and navigation.
- Discover the role of moths in ecosystems.
- Set up a moth observation and record your findings in your new Moth Nature Journal.
- Conduct a soundproofing experiment to see how moth wings provide stealth cloaking from bat sonar.
- Extend your learning with a moth anatomy study.
Module 2: Crickets
- Explore the nocturnal adaptations of the cricket including their communication systems and powerful leaps.
- Learn about Dolbear's Law and conduct a cricket thermometer lab.
- Celebrate what we've learned with a jumping cricket craft.
- Extend your learning with a cricket anatomy study.
Module 3: Fireflies
- Explore a firefly's bioluminescent nocturnal adaptation.
- Learn how to help fireflies have a bright future.
- Follow our guided firefly study and nature journaling prompts.
- Talk like a firefly with our Morse code light signals!
- Extend your learning with a firefly anatomy study.
Module 4: Wolf Spiders
- Explore the nocturnal adaptations of the wolf spider including vision and speed.
- Learn how spiders power their legs through hydraulics.
- Conduct a demonstration to see how wolf spiders glow in the dark.
- Celebrate what we've learned with a traveling wolf spider craft.
- Extend your learning with a wolf spider anatomy study.
This study may be completed over the course of one month with one module per week, or more quickly or slowly depending on personal preference. This is a digital download and files will be delivered via email upon purchase. Enjoy your adventure!