Harbor and Sprout
Home Economics Nature Study
These lessons are included in our Home Economics Elementary Unit.
Discover natural home economics in this in-depth, engaging nature study by Jacqueline Marr of Books and Willows. This study includes four modules:
Module 1: Green Cleaning
- Explore what 'green cleaners' have in common.
- Learn what gives vinegar, baking soda, and citrus fruit their natural cleaning powers!
- Study and dissect a lemon.
- Make lemon spray and design a label for your new household cleaning brand.
- Conduct an experiment with baking soda to identify acids and bases.
Module 2: Natural Ant Control
- Discover how to identify ants and the three main reasons they enter our homes.
- Follow our natural tips for discouraging ant invasions and create a weekly chore wheel to keep on top of our ant deterrent tasks.
- Make your own peppermint ant repellent.
- Set up an ant trail study and observe their communication.
Module 3: Aromatherapy
- Learn how essential oils are distilled from plant parts.
- Follow the path of a lavender scent molecule through our bodies to discover how aromatherapy works.
- Explore the health benefits of using lavender in our natural living routines.
- Make your own lavender sachet.
- Create nature-inspired clay diffuser disks to hang in your home.
Module 4: Health and Hygiene
- Explore where Epsom salts come from and their health benefits, then make our own Epsom salts bath bombs!
- Grow crystals to explore how Epsom salts and table salts differ.
- Learn about the oat plant and the different types of oats we see at the market.
- Explore how we can use oats' anti-inflammatory and moisture-giving powers in our natural living routines, then make our own oat baths!
This study may be completed over the course of one month with one module per week, or more quickly or slowly depending on personal preference. This is a digital download and files will be delivered via email upon purchase. Enjoy your adventure!