Harbor and Sprout
Meteorology Nature Study
These lessons are included in our Meteorology Unit Study.
Discover Meteorology in this in-depth, engaging nature study by Jacqueline Marr of Books and Willows. This study includes four modules:
Module 1: Thunderstorms
- Learn how thunderstorms form and their lifecycle.
- Discover what makes lightning and thunder.
- Review our thunderstorm safety tips.
- Conduct an experiment to make 'lightning'.
- Grow your own 'thunder cloud'.
- Track humidity changes with a pinecone weather station!
- Extend your learning to explore Ben Franklin's lightning experiments and inventions.
Module 2: Tornadoes
- Learn how tornadoes are born from supercell thunderstorms.
- Discover how tornadoes are measured with the Enhanced Fujita Scale.
- Review tornado safety tips.
- Narrate what it would be like to be 'inside a tornado'!
- Make a model of a tornado vortex using water.
- Practice knowing the signs of a tornado with our bingo game.
- Extend your learning to compare tornadoes with hurricanes.
Module 3: Blizzards
- Discover the three ingredients that come together to make a blizzard.
- Study the Snow Cycle with our poster and worksheets, and learn why snowflakes come in different shapes and sizes.
- Review our winter storm safety tips.
- Conduct an experiment to see what happens when warm and cold fronts collide.
- Practice putting together your own Winter Storm Safety Kit.
Module 4: Heat Waves
- Learn what causes heat waves, find out the effects of a heat dome, and discover urban heat islands.
- Discover how animals adapt to the heat.
- Review our heat wave safety tips.
- Monitor the weather with a DIY thermometer.
- Create a 'Staying Cool' sun art poster to celebrate what we've learned.
- Extend your learning by taking these steps to help wildlife stay cool in the sun.
This study may be completed over the course of one month with one module per week, or more quickly or slowly depending on personal preference. This is a digital download and files will be delivered via email upon purchase. Enjoy your weather adventures!