Harbor and Sprout
Outdoor Survival Skills Nature Study
These lessons are included in our Outdoor Survival Skills Elementary Unit.
Discover outdoor survival through the wonderful world of water in this in-depth, engaging nature study by Jacqueline Marr of Books and Willows. This study includes four modules:
Module 1: Finding Water
- Learn how water is used in our body and the signs of dehydration.
- Fill out our 'My Water' poster to see where you got your water from today!
- Discover clues that can lead you to wild sources of water.
- Explore how plants can be a source of water, especially in the desert and dissect a coconut.
- Map the wild water sources in your neighborhood and research where your water comes from.
Module 2: Collecting Water
- Learn how to collect wild water from rain, dew, a solar still, and transpiration.
- Discover how dew forms, the science behind a solar still, and the role of water in plants.
- Extend your lesson with a study of our planet's water cycle with our ziplock bag model.
Module 3: Filtering Water
- Discover why it is necessary to filter water.
- Learn three ways to make a natural wild filter.
- Explore our planet's natural watershed filtration system and how flamingos, beavers, and cattails are clean water heroes!
- Celebrate the filter powers of the cattail in their wetland habits with our 3D paper art tutorial.
Module 4: Purifying Water
- Learn why water is purified and the different categories of contaminants that may be found in wild water sources.
- Discover three methods survivalists use to purify their water.
- Conduct a pond water investigation. Make your own origami, aluminum foil cup!
This study may be completed over the course of one month with one module per week, or more quickly or slowly depending on personal preference. This is a digital download and files will be delivered via email upon purchase. Enjoy your adventure!