Harbor and Sprout
Construction Nature Study
These lessons are included in our Construction Elementary Unit.
Discover the remarkable world of animal construction in this in-depth, engaging nature study by Jacqueline Marr of Books and Willows. This study includes four modules:
Module 1: Bird Nests
- Discover how 8 types of bird nests are constructed.
- Compare and contrast nest designs while exploring their advantages and disadvantages.
- Build your own bird nest using natural materials.
- Extend your learning by researching how plastic pollution affects bird nesting behaviors.
Module 2: Termite Mounds
- Discover the three castes of termites and their amazing life underground.
- Go inside a termite mound to visit the royal chambers, nurseries, and fungal gardens, then create a 3-D model for your nature table.
- Learn how termites engineer their mounds as giant ventilation and air conditioning units!
- Conduct a hands-on demonstration to see how temperature changes power the air circulation through termite nests.
- Tour a prairie dog town and meet its inhabitants.
- Learn how prairie dogs use Bernoulli's Principle to passively ventilate their home.
- Design your own prairie dog burrow as we learn the function of each room.
- Diagram a prairie town ecosystem and learn why prairie dogs are considered a keystone species in their grassland habitat.
Module 4: Beaver Dams
- Discover how beavers design and build their dams and lodges.
- Explore the adaptations that make beavers nature's master builders.
- Complete our beaver dam STEM challenge.
This study may be completed over the course of one month with one module per week, or more quickly or slowly depending on personal preference. This is a digital download and files will be delivered via email upon purchase. Enjoy your adventure!