Harbor and Sprout
Oceanography Nature Study
These lessons are included in our Oceanography Unit Study.
Discover Oceanography in this in-depth, engaging nature study by Jacqueline Marr of Books and Willows. This study includes four modules:
Module 1: Seashell Creatures
- Learn where seashells come from and the creatures behind the most common shells found on the beach; gastropods and bivalves.
- Discover the role of seashells in coastal ecosystems.
- Play a game of Seashell Class Sort, then design your own shell home.
- Extend your learning with an ocean acidification experiment.
Module 2: Seaweed
- Learn the difference between a plant and seaweed. Record your results in a Venn diagram.
- Discover why seaweed is important.
- Be amazed at the different uses of seaweed, and go on a seaweed scavenger hunt around your home!
- Extend your learning with seaweed prints or a watercolor art invitation.
Module 3: Tidal Pools
- Learn what life is like in a tidal pool.
- Discover the creatures that live in each tidal zone.
- Create your own tidal pool habitat with a diorama model.
- Extend your learning with a tidal pool food chain lesson and craft.
Module 4: Sea Turtles
- Learn about sea turtle adaptations, anatomy, and lifecycle, and record what you have learned with our worksheets and crafts.
- Discover how you can become a sea turtle protector and celebrate how you can make a difference with your new rock turtle friends.
- Experiment with shapes to see which is the most streamlined.
- Extend your learning by tracking leatherback turtles in the wild.
This study may be completed over the course of one month with one module per week, or more quickly or slowly depending on personal preference. This is a digital download and files will be delivered via email upon purchase. Enjoy discovering the ocean!