Harbor and Sprout
Textiles and Fashion Nature Study
These lessons are included in our Textiles and Fashion Unit Study.
Explore Textiles and Fashion in this in-depth, engaging nature study by Jacqueline Marr of Books and Willows. This study includes four modules:
Module 1: Cotton
- Discover the plant that produces cotton and how it is grown.
- Follow the journey of a cotton t-shirt from harvesting to manufacturing.
- Make a cotton flower and discuss anatomy.
- Go on a scavenger hunt for all the ways cotton is used in our homes.
- Extend your learning with a 'cotton blower' STEM challenge!
Module 2: Bamboo
- Discover how bamboo is grown and harvested.
- Learn the process of turning bamboo fibers into bamboo bed sheets!
- Explore the advantages and disadvantages of bamboo fabrics in 'the great debate'.
- Learn how to care for your own 'lucky bamboo' plant.
- Create some bamboo art and discuss bamboo anatomy.
Module 3: Wool
- Discover the properties of sheep wool.
- Follow the journey of a wool sweater from a baby lamb to sheep fleece to spun yarn.
- Celebrate sheep with a 'wooly sheep craft' and discuss sheep anatomy.
- Learn our tips for 'knitting with kids' and follow the tutorials to practice beginner knit stitches.
Module 4: Natural Dyes
- Learn the three sources of natural dyes.
- Explore the process of dying fabrics, including how to measure dyes and the purpose of mordants.
- Create your own natural dyes at home.
- Make a pounded plant and flower art print.
This study may be completed over the course of one month with one module per week, or more quickly or slowly depending on personal preference. This is a digital download and files will be delivered via email upon purchase. Enjoy discovering textiles and fashion!